The board bring together expertise and insights from international agencies, NGOs, academic institutions and the private sector.The Global Development Institute is delighted to announce the formation of its new International Advisory Board. The board brings together high-level expertise and insights from a range of individuals based within international agencies, NGOs, think tanks, academic institutions and the private sector.
The Advisory Board is chaired by Professor David Hulme OBE and will provide external perspectives on the strategies and priorities for research, impact and teaching within GDI. It will regularly meet to reflect upon GDI’s current plans, activities and strategies, helping to keep the Institute firmly linked into the broader community of global development policy and practice.
The board held its first virtual meeting in June 2023. It discussed the strategy and future positioning of the Global Development Institute within a rapidly changing external context. The meeting also discussed the Institute’s wider contribution towards Development Studies going forward. Suggestions from board members were subsequently discussed by GDI academics at a recent strategic away day.
GDI’s recently appointed Head of Department, Professor Sam Hickey said:
We are very grateful for the enthusiasm, engagement and practical ideas provided by members of GDI’s International Advisory Board. We’re thrilled to have such a stellar group of policy makers, practitioners and researchers in our corner and look forward to benefiting from their insights into a rapidly changing world. We’re particularly pleased that a significant proportion of the Board is made up of our alumni, who have a deep connection with the Institute.
The Global Development Institute Advisory Board comprises of:
- Dr Amani Abou-Zeid, African Union Commissioner in charge of Infrastructure, Energy and Digitalisation.
- Professor Stephanie Barrientos, Emeritus Professor in the Global Development Institute, University of Manchester.
- Professor Anthony Bebbington, International Director of the Natural Resources and Climate Change program at the Ford Foundation.
- Rory Brooks CBE, co-founder of the international private equity group MML Capital Partners and inaugural Chair of The University of Manchester’s International Advisory Board.
- Winnie Byanyima, Executive Director of UNAIDS and an Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- Professor Laura Camfield, Professor of Development Research and Evaluation, School of International Development, University of East Angelia.
- Dr Beth Chitekwe-Biti, Director of the secretariat of Slum Dwellers International.
- Professor David Hulme OBE, Professor of Development Studies at The University of Manchester.
- Professor Inge Hutter, Rector of the International Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, of Erasmus University Rotterdam, and Professor of Participatory and Qualitative Research in Population and Development.
- Dr Samuel Munzele Maimbo, Chief of Staff in the Office of the President of the World Bank Group.
- Dr Imran Matin Executive Director, BRAC Institute of Governance and Development.
- Professor Emma Mawdsley, Reader in Human Geography at The University of Cambridge, Vice-Principal of Newnham College, and Director of the Margaret Anstee Centre for Global Studies.
- Professor Tania Murray Li, Professor of Anthropology at the University of Toronto.
- Professor Jose A. Puppim de Oliveira, Research Professor at FGV (FundaçãoGetulio Vargas), Brazil.
- Professor Imraan Valodia, is Professor of Economics; Pro Vice-Chancellor: Climate, Sustainability and Inequality; and Director of the Southern Centre for Inequality Studies, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (Wits).
Read the full biographies of the Advisory Board members.