On Thursday, 7 December 2022, Manchester Institute of Education hosted its formal launch of the new Teacher Education and Professional Learning (TEPL) Research and Scholarship Group (RSG).One year on, we are delighted that as a group we are making headway in achieving our aims:
- To bring together a wide array of researchers, scholars and practitioners to explore questions related to teacher education and professional learning
- To foster a culture of engagement with research and scholarly activity in the field
- To contribute to the field of teacher education and professional learning
- To be a space for educators and professionals to engage in critique and debate regarding teaching and learning pedagogy and practices
Since its launch, we have cultivated a vibrant research and scholarship culture in TEPL , growing participation to 50+ active members.
As a collective, we are cementing our status as an authority in the field of TEPL commensurate with an education department in a world-class Russell Group institution, and are generating tangible outcomes that strengthen Manchester’s reputation.
- TEPL members are increasingly sought after by the media as authoritative voices on education
- TEPL members are increasingly sought after by policy makers, such as the DfE ; having direct impact on policy developments
- TEPL members are contributing to the University’s Policy@Manchester policy engagement institute and building relationships with policy makers, academics and Members of Parliament
- Members are presenting at international conferences, with some making their conference debuts this year at prestigious international events including TEAN, BERA and ECER
- Members are contributing to reputable Blogs to comment on matters of currency in the field
- Members are producing academic and professional journal outputs
- We are holding a series of "TEPL Invites..." seminars hosted by external keynote speakers to share their research and stimulate discussion and debate
Whilst our national and international profile is growing externally, TEPL’s expertise also impacts teaching and learning within the University. TEPL is playing a pivotal role in contributing to professional learning across SEED, through its "Teaching Matters" programme.
Launched in October, ’Teaching Matters’ workshops throughout the academic year will be exploring good practice from a variety of perspectives including inclusive pedagogies, formative assessment, unit design and digital tools to enhance learning. firstname.lastname@example.org.
As one of MIE’s newest RSGs, TEPL is providing an empowering space for colleagues to flourish as researchers and scholars.
What our members say...
MIE’s TEPL RSG launched in style with a brilliant and well-attended hybrid event featuring three eminent keynote speakers who shared some thought-provoking contributions on "The State of Teacher Education and Professional Learning", leaving us all with plenty of food for thought!
TEPL has so far proved an excellent space for UoM educators and wider professionals to engage in critique and debate about current issues.
As a new RSG in MIE, we are proud of our achievements over the past year and are looking forward to the year ahead with much enthusiasm.
We look forward to seeing many of you at our upcoming TEPL events.